Steph builds personalized programs for each student based on their level, goals, and desire. All programs/courses can be combined at different percentages to ensure success and positive results within a precise time frame to meet individual needs. It's also possible to get targeted coaching to address specific interests or problem areas. Courses are offered and adapted to all levels and for all ages.
The Reading Course
The reading course will teach you how to read rhythms and prepare you for future drumset and music charts. If you just want to be able to write your own charts and read basic notation or even if you want to become a professional reader, this program is for you. From the more classical charts, to rudimental marching pieces, to modern pieces and even going back to the "Berger Notation" and Basel drumming, you will become confident that your new abilities will boost your playing and musical ideas to the next level. It's also possible to include some general music theory to make you able to work with lead sheets and other instrument charts or to prepare for an audition.
The Technique Course
The technique course is one of the most important for your development as a drummer and musician to be able to express yourself to the fullest and prevent injuries. Steph studied with master technicians such as Dom Famularo and Jim Chapin and became one of their top students. Many must-have drum books are part of this program. You will start on the practice pad in front of a mirror learning history and formal/informal motions from the late Moeller, Lawrence Stone, and Gladstone while also going into the modern variations and Steph's personal adaptations and extensions. Rudiments/Collapsed Rudiments are a big part of this section. Foot technique is similar to hand technique and will be studied as well. The goal is to learn and strengthen all the techniques first, and then combine them for use in a musical context. You will apply them to the drumset and find your own sound and motions based on natural concepts to avoid the pain and injuries that often follow poor technique.
The drumset development Course
The drumset development course is based on developing independence and coordination. The drumset being a particularly physical instrument, needs work and muscle memory to let your musical ideas flow. This course will push your physical limits with a lot of practical and challenging exercises. From Ostinatos to hand/foot combinations, you will have fun. Once you have the physical abilities down combined with a great technical and reading facility, you will be astounded by what you'll be able to create and play right on the spot.
Styles/Vocabulary development course
The Style/Vocabulary development course will introduce you to and develop the foundation of different styles of music like Jazz, Funk, Brazilian, Cuban, World, Pop, Rock, etc. Steph utilizes more than 50 different books to help with this process. The skills learned in the other sections will help a lot with this program. You will be able to play with the assistance of play-along materials and you'll be able to specialize in a selected style or just become more knowledgeable to incorporate something new into your own style. You'll also get a reference to great videos and albums to train your ears and learn the vocabulary. It's a real immersion. Transcriptions are also used to gain an understanding of the thinking of drummers in all genres. If you want to become a freelance drummer or just for your own general knowledge, you will find this course rich and motivating.
The Music Performance Course
The Music Performance course is more contextual. This is why we work hard on the other courses; to put everything together here to work specifically on the music. Sometimes we start here to find the challenges and go back to other courses. Learn how to approach a chart or a transcription. Steph records the performances and takes the time to review all the details with each student. This course includes sight reading, interpreting, groove, time, time feel, precision tools, fluidity, soloing, musical forms, taking musical decisions, etc... This course will blow your mind!
Students travel from all over the world to take private lessons in New York City (USA) and in Quebec City (Canada) with Stephane. Intensive days and weeks are popular and lessons from one to six hours per day can be booked. You have the choice between the action of Manhattan or the more quiet environment of Quebec City. For the NY/NJ area, arrangements can be made for Steph to travel to your home or studio of choice, and he also has access to a number of studios for your convenience located around Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and Long Island.
Take a live drum lesson with Steph wherever you are in the world. You will need a web cam and a good internet connection. Be ready to learn and love this new learning process. The goal is to deliver lessons with the best sound and multi-angle images from the studio’s HD Web cams to the students.
Instruction rate is $80USD per hour. Courses are prepaid at the beginning of each month. We accept cash, bank transfer, Paypal or even credit cards at the studios.
- From Drummer to Writer - Canadian Musician, November/December 2018
- Applying Rudiments to Open-Handed Groove Concepts Part One - Canadian Musician, May/June 2018
- Applying Rudiments to Open-Handed Groove Concepts Part Two - Canadian Musician, July/August 2018
- The Creative Hi-Hat Foot - Modern Drummer, August 2018
- From Hand Technique to Feet - Percussive Notes, Vol.56, No.1, March 2018
- Making Time Click - Rhythm Scene Vol.5, No. 1, February 2018
- Collapsed Rudiments - Modern Drummer, September 2017
- Swing Interpretations - Modern Drummer, July 2017
- Teaching beginner Students - Canadian Musician, September/October 2017
- Developing Independence with the Half-Time Shuffle - Percussive Notes, March 2017
- Feel & Space for the Musical Drummer - Canadian Musician, March/April 2017
- Pedal Control - Rhythms & Drums, October 2015 (In Japanese)
- Drumset Duets - Percussive Notes, November 2014
- Evolution In Modern Drum Education / L'enseignement moderne de la batterie et son évolution - Drums Etc., May 2015
- Maracatu 2.0 inspired by Eduardo Guedes - Drums Etc., September 2015
- Video Recording to Make your Student Grow Faster and Better / Des enregistrements vidéo pour améliorer l'apprentissage - Drums Etc., May 2016
- Practice Like a Jedi - Canadian Musician, March/April 2016
- The Mystery of Great Musical Drum Solos / Le mystère dernière les grands solos de batterie - Drums Etc., Janvier 2016
- Expanding The Snare Drum Sounds / Les multiples sons de la caisse claire - Drums Etc., November 2015